Monday, July 14, 2008

The Special Years

click to enter the Val Doonican website

Words and Music by BOB LIND
Released as a single by VAL DOONICAN(1966)
From his album HIS SPECIAL YEARS(1999)


I was listening to Pam Ayres' Sunday show on Radio 2 during a prolonged hospitalisation when this song came on. I thought of my family, Maxima looking after Minora and Minima on her own, and the girls being very young and without me. As the tears came I suddenly felt very alone, but determined that I would get back to them as soon as possible.

From pigtails to wedding veils
From pinafores to lace
And in between are the special years
Time never can erase

From play toys to college boys
From little girl to wife
And in between are the special years
You remember all of your life

The special years are filled
With sweet promises and pain
But love will never taste
Quite so wonderful again

So slow up, don't rush to grow up
You'll be a woman before long
So stay awhile in the special years
Their magic will soon be gone

Just stay awhile in the special years
Their magic - will soon be gone...

No comments: