Thursday, October 9, 2008

Badge

click to go to Wikipedia's entry for 'Badge'

Words by GEORGE HARRISON
Music by ERIC CLAPTON
From the CREAM album GOODBYE
and released as a single in 1969



I heard this song for the first time in a long time on BBC Radio 2 when they broadcast a concert by Eric Clapton, and realised I'd forgotten how wistful George Harrison's lyrics were. It was interesting to hear the roots of Harrison's middle-8 guitar break in Here Comes the Sun in the coda to the song, and I realised: great art never ages.

Im thinking about the times you drove in my car
Im thinking that I might have drove you too far
Im thinking of the love
That you laid on my table

I told you not to wander round in the dark
I told you bout the swans that they live in the park
Then I told you about our kid
Now hes married to mabel

Yes I told you that the life goes up and down
Notice how the wheel goes round?
And youd better pick yourself up from the ground
Before they bring the curtain down
Yes before they bring the curtain down

Talking about a girl that looks quite like you
She didnt have the time to wait in the queue
She cried away her life since she fell out the cradle

No comments: